Today is Ash Wednesday and signifies the start of Lent. Lent is usually the time when Christians remember the 40 days and nights Jesus spent alone in the desert without food being tempted by the Devil.
Interesting fact about the number 40 is a special number in the Bible. It signifies preparation for something special:
- The rain lasted for 40 days in the mighty flood – Noah
- Moses stayed on the Mount Sinai forty days (Ex 24:18)
- Jonah gave the people of Ninevah forty days to repent (Jon 3:4)
- Jesus, before starting his ministry, spent forty days in the desert in prayer and fasting (Matt 4:2)
Thus , in the coming days leading to Easter, while remembering the sacrifice and the resurrection of our Lord Jesus, let us also reflect on our spiritual faith and life.
If you’ve never done a fast before, perhaps you can consider the following fast:
- Full Fast – Drink only liquids (you establish the number of days).
- The Daniel Fast – Eat no meat, no sweets and no bread. Drink water and juice. Eat fruits and vegetables. Learn More
- 3-Day Fast – This fast can be a Full Fast, Daniel Fast or give up at least one item of food.
- Partial Fast – A partial fast is from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm or from sun up to sundown. You can select from three types of fasting —a Full Fast, Daniel Fast or give up at least one item of food.
- Digital Fast – Disconnect your Facebook, Twitter. Some examples here.
8th – 15th of January 2012 – In line with our theme of prayer, we bring to your attention Prayer for Oslo which is a united prayer effort among the churches around Oslo happening daily.
Round the clock prayer and programs will be held at Menigheten i Filadelfia, St. Olavsgt.24, 0130 Oslo. Feel free to participate and pray for Oslo and it’s population.
More information and program can be found at http://www.bonnforoslo.no/ (in Norwegian) or a simple program in English at http://www.bonnforoslo.no/english/ or to download the background document in English – click here.
6th of march we spent the whole day together! As friends, we had time to have fun ice skating, cooking, making decorations and chatting. As a church, we discussed about our dreams and challenges for OiC. As members of the Body of Christ, we prayed, worshiped and shared bread and wine in Holly Communion. We want to learn from God how to listen and walk. And we want to do that together. It was a special day for us. Thank you for helping. Thank you for bringing food. Thank you all for being there. Thanks God for this blessed day.
See pictures below!
Continue reading “A whole day together”
On Sunday, Ingjerd and Sigmund Evensen told us about the Vision 2025 Resolution, that says that by the year 2025 a Bible translation project will be in progress for every people group that needs it. Would YOU like to take part of it, and where would you go?
Wycliffe and Vision 2025 from Wycliffe Global Alliance on Vimeo.